a Plastic Neutral Society
The effects of plastic pollution are global; from microplastics in the food chain to landfill leakage, the lack of effective recycling solutions creates a circular pollution problem.
We strive for a #plasticneutral approach, which comes from developing a circular plastics economy. By moving away from the traditional linear model of create-consume-dispose to one of create-consume-recycle, we:
- Convert plastics destined for incineration, landfill or the environment into valuable products
- Extract value from waste plastic, that would have otherwise been lost
- Reduce the requirement for fossil resource in the production of plastic, as part of the decarbonisation agenda
- Allow plastic to remain a part of our everyday lives, with a strong recycling model to ensure its after-use
By achieving the above, we become #plasticneutral – continuing to use a product that has so many benefits, whilst ensuring it is responsibly managed.
Environmental Benefits of Mura’s Process
Alongside diverting plastic away from polluting the environment, our technology represents significant overall environmental benefit.
Initial independent studies have already shown that advanced recycling could reduce CO2 emissions by approximately 1.5 tonnes for every tonne of plastic waste processed when compared to incineration. This means that a 100,000tpa site would save approximately 150,000 tonnes of CO2 annually, when compared to incineration.
Environmental benefits include:
- Reducing plastic pollution of the natural environment
- An estimated 1.5 tonnes CO2 emissions saving per tonne of plastic processed via advanced recycling when compared to incineration
- An increased scope of recyclable plastics, including those classed as ‘unrecyclable’
- A reduction on fossil sourced feedstock for the manufacture of new plastics
- High yields
- Minimal waste is produced- impurities (colourants, additives, fillers etc.) in the plastic feedstock fall out into the heavier hydrocarbon feedstocks, which can be used in construction
To keep in touch with our #plasticneutral vision, please complete your details below to sign up to our newsletter: